tirsdag 29. mars 2011

Skjerf til hunden

Reversible Patchwork Collar Kerchief1. Choosing from my blue fabrics, I picked several I thought coordinated well, cut them in strips, and stitched them together with ¼-inch seams, which I pressed flat.

2. With the collar on the dog, I measured from the top inside edge to the point down his back at which I wanted the kerchief to end, doubled it, and added 1/2" for a seam allowance (1/4" all around). That gave me the diagonal dimension of the square I would use for the kerchief.
patchwork dog kerchief3. Because I wanted the kerchief to be reversible, I cut 2 triangles—one from the pieced fabric and one from a solid piece of coordinating fabric, to make the square. I stitched the long sides with right sides together, pressing the seam flat.
4. I measured in 3/4" from each side of the seamed point and cut the tip of the triangle off. I folded in each edge 1/4", pressed, folded in again another 1/4", and then stitched down the folds.
5. With right sides together, I stitched the 2 short edges of the triangle together. I turned the kerchief right-side out and pressed it. Then I removed Senghe's collar, slipped it through the kerchief, and reattached his collar. patchwork petSenghe loves sporting his jaunty new accessory, and I love showing off my creative patchwork skills. Maybe I'll make a patchwork kerchief for every pooch in the office.

I always thought patchwork projects were difficult and maybe a little old-fashioned. But this contemporary style of patchwork fabric art is easy, fun, and can look modern or vintage, depending on the fabrics and patterns you choose.
patchwork pupI can't wait to get my hands on 101 Patchwork Projects + Quilts so I can start using my extremely large stash of fabric scraps to make something for the rest of my family.

I'm thinking of a place mat for the cat, an iPod case for my 14-year-old, a composition notebook cover for my college girl, and potholders for my husband the home chef.
I may even work up the nerve to make one of the small quilts for my new baby nephew or a vase for my best friend's birthday.
You're sure to find something you can't wait to create in 101 Patchwork Projects + Quilts.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar